Looking for a fun summer project? Grab some friends or bust boredom on your own with this tissue paper flowers and pom-poms DIY!
Tissue paper in the colors of your choice
How to Make Them:
1. For each flower, you’ll need four sheets of tissue, cut into sections that are 10″ x 5″. These can be all one color, or whatever color combination you choose. If you want multiple colors, the color on top of your stack will be in the center of your flower.
2. Now it’s time to make your accordion folds. Stack your tissue papers neatly, so all the edges meet. Start folding from a 5″ side. Make your first fold, as wide as you like it. Mine were about 1/2″ wide. Flip over your stack, and make your second fold. Flip the stack, and fold again. Try to keep all your folds the same width.
3. Trim each end of your fold into a curve or point. This will give you the flower effect.
4. Tie the center of the folded tissue with your twine. This doesn’t need to crimp the paper. (If you wanted these to be flowers with stems that you could put in a vase, use a pipe cleaner instead of the twine.)
5. Spread out one side of the accordion fold.
6. Time to start fluffing. All you are doing is very gently pulling each sheet of tissue up and out, trying not to rip the paper. The first layer you pull up will be the center of your flower. Continue until you have fully fluffed one side of the flower.
7. If you want the flower shape, you’re all done! For a pom pom, flip the flower over and continue pulling each layer up.
Naia is a fifth-generation follower of Jesus. Music and performing arts - singing, especially - is her passion, and she lives for late-night talks about the Holy Spirit. She recently moved to SoCal and is excited for the new doors God is opening for her and her family. Naia is one of our 2017 interns at GLAM Camp for Girls.